If education, and particularly Higher Education is to serve as the lever to the greater surge forward of the Indian nation, the scourge of ragging which corrodes the vitals of campuses needs to be curbed.
Ragging is a social evil causing an ill effect on the student community which have psychological and physical effect on a student.
“Affidavit must be submitted by every student and Parent/ Guardian separately as per clause 5, sub-clause 3 & 4 of the AICTE REGULATION to the counselor assigned to them in the college”.
For students availing hostel accommodation affidavit must be submitted by students as well as Parent/ Guardian as per clause 5, sub-clause 6 of AICTE REGULATION to the Hostel Warden assigned to them in the college.
Anti-ragging rules from statutory bodies are provided as follows:-
As per the orders of the Supreme Court, Government of India UGC, AICTE, Govt. of Karnataka, VTU “Ragging” is a criminal offence leading to Non-bailable Imprisonment”.
The offence of ragging is not only punishable under Section 116 of the Karnataka Education Act, 1983 but also punishable under various provisions envisaged in Section 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 302, 305, 306, 339, 340, 341, 342, 343, 344, 346, 347, 354, 359, 368, 448, 451 & 506 of the Indian Penal Code.
Ragging constitutes one or more of the following acts:-
“Ragging means causing, Inducing, compelling or forcing a student, whether by way of a practical joke or otherwise, to do any act which detracts from human dignity or violated his person or exposes him to ridicule or to forbear from doing lawful act, by intimidating wrongfully restraing, wrongfully confining or injuring him or by using criminal force to him or by holding out to him any treat of such intimidation, wrongful restraint, wrongful confinement, injury or the use of criminal force” Section 2 (29) of K E A – 1983.
- Any conduct by any student or students whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student.
- Indulging in rowdy or undisciplined activities by any student or students which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship, physical or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any fresher or any other student.
- Asking any student to do any act which such student will not in the ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame, or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of such fresher or any other student.
- Any act by a senior student that prevents, disrupts or disturbs the regular academic activity or any other student or a fresher.
- Exploiting the services of a fresher or any other student for completing the academic tasks assigned to an individual or a group of students.
- Any act of financial extortion or forceful expenditure burden put on a fresher or any other student by students.
- Any act of physical abuse including all variants of it: sexual abuse, homosexual assaults, stripping, forcing obscene and lewd acts, gestures, causing bodily harm or any other danger to health or person.
- Any act or abuse by spoken words, emails, posts, public insults which would also include deriving perverted pleasure, vicarious or sadistic thrill from actively or passively participating in the discomfiture to fresher or any other student.
- Any act that affects the mental health and self-confidence of a fresher or any other student with or without an intent to derive a sadistic pleasure or showing off power, authority or superiority by a student over any fresher or any other student.
The Punishment for the students who are involved in ragging are:-
- Every single incident of ragging a FIR will be filed without exception with the local police authorities.
- Depending on the gravity of the offence & those found guilty of ragging any one or combination of punishments can be enforced.
- Cancellation of Admission
- Suspension from attending classes, University degree and Conduct certificate will be embossed in bold letters stating student was involved in Ragging.
- Non issue of Passport.
- Withholding / withdrawing scholarship.
- Suspension/ Expulsion from college.
Ragging in any form is totally prohibited in the campus. Ragging menace is a criminal offence & such of the students who are involved in such obnoxious practice are liable to be rusticated from the college. Severe action will be initiated against the students who are indulging in the ragging. The preventive measures have been taken to tackle ragging. An Anti - Ragging Committee and anti-ragging squads have been formed to prevent ragging. A student seeking admission to the college and hostel forming a part of the institution shall have to submit afﬁdavits duly signed by him / her and also from his/her parents/guardians in the prescribed format as per the regulations.
|2||Mr. H N Suryaprakash||Registrar||Member|
|3||Ms. Aruna||Head- Admissions||Member|
|4||Dr. C S R Prasanth||Dean- Academics & HOD-CSE||Member|
|5||Mr. Devraj R.||Senior Warden- Boys Hostel||Member|
|6||Ms. Shanti P||Senior Warden- Girls Hostel||Member|
|7||Mr. Advaith||Student Representative||Member|
|8||Mr. Shubam Chetri||Student Representative||Member|
|9||Ms. Brundha G||Student Representative||Member|
|12||Mr. Nanjundiah||BEO (Retd.)||Member|
|13||Police Inspector- Marathahalli Police Station||Member|
|14||Dr. M S Ganesha Prasad||Dean-Student Affairs & HOD-ME||Member-Secretary|