NOT ME BUT YOU
The National Service Scheme (NSS) was officially started on 24th September 1969, to establish a meaningful link between the campus and the community. Mahatma Gandhi, the Father of the Nation, recognized the fact that the country could not progress in a desired direction until the student youth were motivated to work for the upliftment of the villages/community. For Gandhiji, villages, where majority of the population live, represent the country. Therefore for the national reconstruction and national resurgence it was deemed fit that the students and teachers should be properly sensitized and utilized to strengthen the Indian society as a whole with particular emphasis on the rural community. Therefore, student youth, teachers and the community are considered as the three basic components of the National Service Scheme.
To build the mind and spirit of the youth to serve the society and work for the social upliftment of the down-trodden masses of our nation as a movement.
The National Service Scheme has been functioning with the motto “NOT ME BUT YOU” in view to make the youth inspired in service of the people and hence NSS Aims at Education through Community Service and Community Service through Education.
- To understand the community in which they work.
- To understand themselves in relation to their community.
- To identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem-solving.
- To develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility.
- To utilize their knowledge in finding practical solutions to individual and community problems.
- To develop competence required for group-living and sharing of responsibilities.
- To gain skills in mobilizing community participation.
- To acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitudes.
- To develop the capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters.
- To practice national integration and social harmony.
The Goal of National Service Scheme or N.S.S. as it is popularly known may be listed as follows:
- Service for the Nation and humanity.
- To create National Integration.
- To develop the personality of its volunteer’s and imbibe in them leadership qualities.
The unit was first introduced in the college in 2013. The N.S.S. unit of New Horizon College has put in a lot of efforts throughout the years to meet these goals and has been successful to a great extent in doing the same. The N.S.S. unit of our college has the vision to work forward with the mission of forgetting and surrendering one’s self to render selfless service to others. The enrolment in this unit is open to all the students of the degree college irrespective of their caste, creed and religion.
|Sl no||Name of the Person||Designation||Position held|
|1||Dr. Sunita Hangal||Principal||Chairperson|
|2||Mr. Girish||Physical Instructor||Program Officer|
In 1964 the Leo Club Program became a sponsored program of the Lions Clubs International.Along with service to humanity, Leo Clubs have produced best of humans and greatest of leaders. It has given Fellowship a new and youthful meaning. In the changing times, Leo’s have come up with innovative ideas and fostered to reach out to the needy. It has given opportunity to every single member to evolve as a person and give their passions a platform to become the best. It makes them independent, teaches them the difference between right and wrong. Benefitting each individual to gather experiences which will help them in their future endeavors.
LEO stands for
Leadership – Develop skills as a project organizer, time manager and team leader.
Experience – Learn how teamwork, cooperation and collaboration can bring exciting changes to your community and the world.
Opportunity – Make friends and feel the rewards of community service.
It is an organization that provides the youth a chance to serve people in need with special emphasis and focus on quality social service.
To Serve’ the community in all social activities
- To fertilise and nourish the theme of Leadership, Experience and Opportunity.
- To work for the social factors of the society that have been left unattended.
- To tackle with social lacunae in our society in the most innovative manner.
|S.NO||Name of the person||Designation||Position held|
|1||Dr. Sunita Hangal||Principal||Chair person|
|2||Divya Baliga B||Asst.Professor||Co-ordinator|
|5||Leo Om prakash||Student||Vice secretory|