Ms. Sunitha S
Head of the Department, B.Com
“Intelligence plus character-that is the goal of true education.”
You are indeed blessed to find an opportunity to be educated in one of the best college – New Horizon College, Kasturinagar. The college is privileged with healthy, harmonious and rich values which plays pivotal role in shaping the future of students with a proud legacy since 2008. Many students have registered their presence in the merit list of Bangalore North University and others have brought laurels in co-curricular activities.
Being a leading college in the Commerce stream, the departmental goal is to assimilate global development in education, adopt latest technology and equip student to face the realities of life and give practical accounting knowledge.
The Department of Commerce has recorded consistent improvement in its academic, cultural, sports and placement. It offers a range of innovatively designed programs whose curriculum are constantly updated to meet the changing requirement of the industry and also to meet the needs of major stakeholders.
We believe that our students have been well accepted in their job profiles and have consistently exceeded expectations of the corporate world.
During study at the department, the students are encouraged to get hands-on experience in the corporate world through internship projects with reputed organizations.
We encourage our students to organize events such as Sargam, Commerce fest & to participate in Commerce events organized by various colleges and to get involved in activities of social relevance.
With all these inputs one finds our students hardworking, practical-oriented and effective in any work environment. We are confident that our current curriculum has enabled overall development of budding Commerce professionals to meet the expectations of the corporate world. The curriculum is taught by a team of distinguished faculty combining academic excellence and real world experience with dedication and commitment.
On behalf of the Department of Commerce I welcome you to be a part of our journey towards being a world class centre of excellence in education and training. We extend our best wishes for achieving greater success and setting new heights in the coming session. To be successful in life ‘have ambitions and define your goals clearly’, be regular to your classes and focus on your goals.
New Horizon College is one of the BEST B.Com Colleges in Bangalore NHCK ranked amongst the top B.Com colleges in Bangalore
To create future ready commerce professionals to be globally competent.
To provide a congenial learning environment to nurture industry ready commerce graduates with societal, environmental and ethical values. To foster success of our students as Think Tanks for business by developing core competencies with holistic approach. To develop and sustain business professionals globally with strong problem solving and analytical skills through multidisciplinary approach.
DEPARTMENT OF B.Com
The B.Com programme is one of the most sought after courses in New Horizon College, Kasturi Nagar. The programme aims not just at developing accounting, managerial and organizational skills in the learners but also to promote entrepreneurial skills. The programme opens up a plethora of career and higher study opportunities including company secretaries, chartered accountants, cost/ work accountants, banking, finance and management.
- Highly qualified and experienced faculty
- Excellent infrastructure
- Well-equipped department library with internet connectivity
- Accounting, Finance, Marketing and Consultancy
- Banking and Insurance
- Positions in share trading firms
- Managerial positions and Self-employment
NHCK is among the Best B.Com Colleges in Bangalore
TEACHING AND LEARNING
Teaching and Learning are two sides of the same coin and need to join if the entire process has to synthesize in order to bring about desired changes in the effective pattern of understanding and learning by a student.
At present, we merge traditional use of the Chalk board with latest technology to disseminate knowledge to the students of the Institution. We also encourage the use of various media like the Over Head Projector, Slide Projectors, etc.
- The use of traditional methods of teaching coupled with technology makes the programme more student centric. Activities like Group Discussions, Seminars, Symposia, Quiz etc., makes for the better understanding of the subject at hand. Students are exposed to various channels of the electronic media, Guest lectures, Special Instructional Programmes, Gyan Darshan and Experts talk to ignite the young minds and to influence them for perfect learning.
- Special instructional programmes such as Tutorials, Remedial Coaching and Mentoring System are being practiced at an individual level to help slow learners and non performers.
- Internal Quality Assurance Cells (IQAC) is established to monitor and review the academic progress. Students’ performance is assessed through Assignments, Unit Tests, Term End Internal Examinations, while teachers’ performance is monitored through Self Appraisal Reports and Academic Performance Indicators.
- The Institution also meticulously plans and organizes updated teaching schedule with the given inputs for the benefit of the teaching and learning community.
- Students centered methods like review, questioning, quizzing, deliberations on the subject are all an integral part of the pedagogy adopted by the faculty.
- Experiential learning, Participative learning, problem solving methodologies are used to enhance learning experiences.
- Latest technologies, namely e-learning, are used by the faculty for effective teaching.
- The learning environment is conducive for critical thinking, creativity and scientific temper.
- The Institution follows a mentor – mentee system to meet the academic and personal needs of students.
- The Institution gives due recognition to innovative and creative contributions of its faculty and students.
- Project / Field experiences are integrated into the learning programmes.
- The teaching – learning process is enhanced by the constructive feedback given to teachers on their teaching methodology.
The institution’s internal evaluation system is one such methodology adopted to identify an advanced learner. Certain mechanisms which identify their learning needs are based on the students’ curiosity to explore new avenues which is identified by their questioning skills, learning ability and quest for learning.
These advanced learners would be dealt separately and individual special attention is given to them. Over and above the curriculum taught, attempts are made to provide them with additional input, knowledge, curriculum for learning etc., by way of modules, subject, projects, skill development with hands on experience etc., so that these learners are benefitted in the process.
The support structures and systems available for teachers to develop skills for interactive learning are seminars, topic based discussions, subjective role plays, debating etc., which play an important role in the further fuelling of a students’ curiosity.
Live and vestibule projects are used for collaborative learning and group learning which helps the student in individual learning by preparing notes, assignments, participating in group discussions, activity based learning programme like exhibition, case study analysis, research activities and through presenting papers.
The institution provides various platforms for students to participate in live projects, workshops, Value added practical’s within the campus to ensure that students are always innovative and practical in approach.
Keeping in mind these two perspectives the value added courses such as CA coaching, CAT coaching, Tally, Global Certification, Foreign Educational Tour and Soft Skills , PDP, Capital marketing, CISCO , Jet king and CPT are provided along with the prescribed course of the University.
CO-CURRICULAR AND EXTENSION ACTIVITIES
A student will opt for one of the following activities offered by the college, in each of the first four semesters of the undergraduate programmes. The activity carries a credit each and will be internally assessed for 50 marks. The following may include the CC & EC (Co-curricular and Extension activities)
- S.S. / N.C.C
- Sports and Games
- Physical Education or Activities related to Yoga
- Field studies / Industry Implant Training
- Involvement in campus publication
- Publication of articles in news papers, magazines or other publications
- Community work such as promotion of National Integrity, Environment, Human rights and duties, Peace, Civic sense etc.
- A Small project work concerning the achievements of India in various fields
- Evolution of study groups/seminar circles on Indian thoughts and ideas
- Involvement in popularization programmes such as scientific temper
- Activity exploring different aspects of Indian civilizations
- Computer assisted/web-based learning and e-library skills
- Innovative compositions and creations in music, performing and visual arts etc.
Evaluation of Co & Extra Curricular Activities shall be as per the drawn proposition and guidelines of the course / activities.
Program Educational Objectives
- To provide strong foundation in Commerce and demonstrate effective professional skills for real time problem solving.
- To create leaders with effective communication to build strong teams.
- Ability to keep pace with emerging trends by using latest tools and technologies.
- To gain understanding of societal, ethical and environmental values to evolve as successful citizens.
- Prepare for higher studies and excel in various professions globally.
- To inculcate strategic and critical thinking skills to design efficient and effective business solutions.
- To develop into a confident business professional with a focus of research and lifelong learning
Program Outcome & Course Outcome
Aviation and Hospitality Management
Aviation, in a literal sense, means operating or merely flying of an aircraft. An aviation course serves as an incentive to students aspiring to make a career in the field of Aviation and Hospitality. This course grooms the students to be professional and play good hosts, which is an important prerequisite in the hospitality industry.Another chief segment of the hospitality business encompasses transportation. Hospitality provides essential services (i.e., lodging and food) for travellers, whether they are on the move for reasons of necessity, leisure or luxury. Hospitality is a major factor in every vacation and business trip, and is thus important to individual customers and to businesses. This includes airlines, trains, cruise ships and other segments that fall under this category. Travel and tourism requires knowledgeable employees in information technology as this is also considered a part of hospitality.
Foreign Language- French/German/Japanese
There is a major demand for human resources with foreign language speakingandwriting skills. Speaking French gives access to the corporate world across the globe thereby providing greater opportunities for job engagements. French is considered as one of the easiest languages for a native English speaker to learn. There’s no doubt that speaking more than one language, especially French, is an enormous advantage in the Indian employment market as well Canadian employment market. Considering that it’s the official language of 29 countries and multiple other important regions, it’s an advantage in the international job market as well
Personality Development Program (PDP)
The personality development program helps in basics of presentations skills along with knowledge of body language so that they can deliver their presentations with professionalism and impact. Additionally, the program also focuses on effective time management techniques and some powerful tips on handling stress well in life. The program finally ends with a discussion on the leadership style that each participant has and how he/she can use this awareness to enhance his/her leadership skill in life. Completion of the course helps in corporate presentations and body language, stress management, time management etc. The course ended in the academic year 2015-16.
Data Management & Excel Certifications
This is a process of inspecting, cleansing, transforming, and modeling data with the goal of discovering useful information, informing conclusions, and supporting decision-making. Data Management & Excel Certifications has multiple facets and approaches, encompassing diverse techniques under a variety of names, while being used in different business, science, and social science domains. In today’s business, DMEC plays a vital role in making decisions more scientific and helping the business achieve effective operation. The course started in the academic year 2014-15.
SAP(Systems, Applications & Products in Data Processing”)
SAP is a German-based European multinational software corporation that makes enterprise software to manage business operations and customer relations. SAP software offers business a platform in the form of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software to manage their separate databases that run their company. It has since evolved to replace all company spreadsheets with a single user accounting package within the business management system of the firm. The course started in the academic year 2016-17.
Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) institute, is the global professional accounting body offering the “Chartered Certified Accountant” qualification. ACCA is fast growing international accountancy organisation
As a globally recognized education and updated/Industry relevant content, ACCA qualification is a great way to build a career in Accounts and finance. Students can pursue this along with their graduation. Its flexible examination scheme makes this qualification more attractive.
Students pursuing ACCA can:
Earn a Diploma/Advance Diploma in Accounting and Business and go on to earn an ACCA Member status ( ** During final year B.COM )
|Name of Committee/Cell||Faculty In charge||Faculty Members|
|Value Added Programs||Ms.Sunitha S||Ms.Aruna R Sheet Ms.Brindha N Ms.Nandini N|
Part 1 – Languages
Part 2 – Optional
Part 1 – Languages
Part 2 – Optional
Part 2 – Optional
Part 1 – Languages
Part 2 – Optional
Part 2 – Optional
Download Elective I – INTERNATIONAL FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
Download Elective 1- INTERNATIONAL FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT – Unit-1: The Finance Function
Goods and service tax, chapter – 1 – Accounting specialization
Goods and service tax, Chapter – 2 – Accounting specialization
Download Elective II – GOODS AND SERVICES TAX
Download Elective II – GOODS AND SERVICE TAX (ACCOUNTING GROUP)
Banking and insurance – Life and General Insurance (unit -1)
International Banking and Forex management (Banking)