Dr. K. Gopalakrishnan,
Professor & Head - Research & Development
R&D Cell is headed by the Dean of Research and Development at New Horizon College of Engineering (NHCE), Bangalore. The various facilities, proactive initiatives to promote research (both sponsored & academic research) and consultancy are unparallel at NHCE. The vibrant R&D culture fosters innovative spirit to kindle the young minds at the campus under able guidance and mentorship of motivated faculty members at all the departments. It has carved a niche in India for NHCE. The support provided by our Chairman, Principal, Deans, Heads of Departments, Professors and Senior Faculty Members in the process of promotion of research, is greatly acknowledged.
Research at New Horizon College of Engineering
Major Milestones in R&D at NHCE
Patents Granted: 12 Patents
Patents Filed: 171 Patents (Faculty Members/Students)
Patents Published in “Official Journal of the Patent Office, Issue No. 05/2017, Date: 03/02/2017”: 6 + 23 Patents
The Patent Office Journal No. 48/2018 Dated 30/11/2018 Page 45738 to 45769 :
Patents Licensed/Commercialized: 4 (Earnings/Royalty from Patents: Rs. 80,00,000.00)
Patents: In Progress: 30+ Patents
Research Papers: 1213 (International/National Journals and/or Conferences)
Books Published: 67
R&D Facilities at NHCE
- Eleven University Approved Research Centres under VTU for PhD/MSc (By Research) PhD/MS By Research:
- R&D Cell organizes various Research Activities
- Each Department has a Research Coordinators
- High Bandwidth (200mbps) Internet Connectivity & Wi-Fi Facility
- 10% of Institution’s Budget is Allocated Towards Supporting Research Activities
- Nokia Mobile Innovation Lab
- Senior Faculty Members act as Research Mentors of Junior Faculty Members
- Centre for Intelligent Imaging Solutions
- Centre of Excellence for Motion Capture
- Centre of Excellence for Edufotainment on Wheels
- Design Studio and Product Development Centre
- Technology Business Incubation Centre
- Centre for Innovations, Creativity and IPR
- SAP Centre of Excellence
- Centre of Excellence of Digital Learning Resources
- Society for the Promotion of Innovation, Creativity and Entrepreneurship (SPICE Club)
Those who are interested to pursue MSc (Engineering) By Research or PhD in Engineering/Technology/MCA/Management/ Maths/Physics/Chemistry etc can contact the respective Departments directly.
Admission to PhD and MSc (Engineering) By Research Programme of VTU at NHCE Research Centres
Promotion of Research and Resource Mobilization for Research
- Eleven Departments are Recognized as R&D Centres under VTU for PhD/MSc (By Research)
- R&D Cell headed by Dean – Research & Development
- Faculty Members are Encouraged to Take-Up Research Work and Publish Papers
- Best Research Project Scheme
- Industry Institute Interaction to help the identification of research areas
- Incentives for Patent Filing/Paper Publication and/or Presentation
- Higher Studies Leave Benefits
- College has Received Grants from Various Research Agencies Towards Sponsored research and/or Consultancy Projects
- Increments in Salary when Faculty Upgrades Their Qualifications
- Felicitation on Completion of PhD
- Reduction in Workload for Faculty Members Pursuing PhD
- Library Facility with resources like e-journals, print journal, magazines and periodicals, mobile app to use e-facilities
- 10% of Institution’s Budget is Allocated Towards Supporting Research Activities
- Seed Funding for Research Projects
- Incentives for Publications in National/International Journals
- Equipment and Research Facilities at the Departments are Utilized by Both Faculty Members and Students
- Faculty development program / training programs every semester
Consolidated List of Sponsored Research Grants, Consultancy Grants & Royalty from Patents for Last 6 Years.
|Nature of Grant||2017-18||2016-17||2015-16||2014-15||2013-14||2012-13||Amount in Rs.|
|Research Projects Grants||6,33,82,382.00||1,24,34,275.00||78,97,000.00||55,07,000.00||20,20,000.00||28,60,000.00||9,41,00,657.00|
|Commercialization of Research Results/Licensing of IPR/Patents||37,50,000.00||23,00,000.00||11,00,000.00||8,00,000.00||50,000.00||-||80,00,000.00|
Many sponsored research projects and consultancy projects executed by NHCE have been received over whelming appreciation from various sections for its innovative way of execution and cost effectiveness and have also been received many awards/honours. Hence it became imperative to collate all such important research results and consultancy projects of NHCE in the form of Compendium as a record for future reference. Hence, an attempt has been made to showcase the salient features of important sponsored research and consultancy projects executed at NHCE. The Compendium of R&D Projects delineates the innovative components and contributions of R&D team at NHCE and also highlights the importance and significance of various projects for the development/betterment of our country. In the era of knowledge economy, NHCE strives hard to bring in frugal innovation and file highest number of patents to galvanize the culture of creativity and innovation at every campus in India.
The various facilities, proactive initiatives to promote research (both sponsored & academic research) and consultancy are unparallel at NHCE. The vibrant R&D culture fosters innovative sprit and kindle the young minds at the campus under able guidance and mentorship of motivated faculty members at all the departments have carved the niche place in India for NHCE. Hence, an attempt has been made to showcase the various opportunities available for sponsored research funding (grants) at national and international level agencies’ and also the compilation of funding formats, thrust areas etc to sensitize/strengthen the R&D activities at engineering colleges are highlighted in this hand book. Adequate emphasis were given to academic research (PhD/MS-By Research), Procedures, Regulations, Guidelines, Calendar for PhD Scholars, Manual for Preparation of Thesis, Post Doctoral Degree (DSc/DLitt) Procedures, Publication Tips, Similarity Index, Dispel the Myths and Realities of Impact Factor, Over View of Plagiarism Detecting Software, IPR and Patents’ Filling Formats etc in the hand book. The hand book also contains the DVD which provides the soft copy of the hand book along with appropriate hyper links for the direct access to the funding agencies’ websites for ready reference/usages. In the era of knowledge economy, NHCE strives hard to bring in frugal innovation and encourages the young researchers/students to innovate and file highest number of patents to galvanize the culture of creativity and innovation at every campus in India.
RDC has been constituted with approved mandate and responsibilities of providing impetus to the College research and development activities and to provide support, advice and assist the Dean: Research and Development. It has representation from all departments and inter-disciplinary programs. The body has become a vibrant entity to discuss policy issues and the NHCE receives the first level feedback from the faculty. RDC members highlight shortcomings in procedural matters and thus sharpen the performance of the R&D Cell.
The NHCE’s R&D activity aims at innovation and technological progress/growth through academic and research collaborations with various Universities, Ministries of Central/State Governments, R&D Establishments and Industries to meet the immediate as well as futuristic needs of the society and industry. The scope and scale of research has been envisaged from the era of student projects/theses and academic researches to sponsored research/funded research projects to interdisciplinary and multi-disciplinary research programs.
The NHCE faculty members, research staff and students conduct research with goals and objectives ranging from intellectual curiosity/creative exploration addressing contemporary challenges, developing technology, or writing scholarly publications. The NHCE gains enormously from these activities and in fact, flourishes on faculty member quest. The NHCE wishes to position itself in the world in near future as one of reputed and prestigious Institution known for its academic pursuit along with performance in the research domain. Consequently, the NHCE has facilitated a healthy ambience for research – both in terms of sustained motivation, state-of-the-art infrastructure and scholastics.
- Research Idea:
- Funding Agency:
Generate a list of best ideas from your research area (topics which are closest to your heart) in which you are really interested. As a Principal Investigator (PI), you should take into account your professional interest/passion in identifying new and important research questions. Organisation of brainstorming with a group (among peer at department) helps in terms of idea mapping. Moreover, identifying ideas that are innovative in which you will be comfortable requires refinement of your research idea in terms of its implementability within the availability of scarce resources. One could establish an internal review panel as a team to discuss the efficacy of the proposed study. The team will concentrate on the improvement of scientific content of the proposal.
One needs to learn about the funding agency in terms of its mission, research priorities, available financial resources, recent awards and current announcements. Faculty should initiate interaction with the programme manager and seek required information on matching of the research Idea and objectives of the agency. Faculty should visit the funding agency, if necessary and volunteer to serve on the review panel. Faculty needs to read and analyze the solicitation of the agency's grant application.
R&D Committee (RDC)
International Forum of Industrial Design “Global Industrial Design”, Ekaterinburg, Russia
Other R&D Projects of New Horizon College of Engineering Being Commercialized/In Process
- 7D Motion Simulators with 6Degrees of Freedom (6DoF) and 3 Degrees of Freedom (3DoF) Operated by Hydraulic System or Pneumatic System
- Motion Files Acquisition System for 7D Motion Simulators with 6 Degrees of Freedom (6DoF) and 3 Degrees of Freedom (3DoF) Operated by Hydraulic System or Pneumatic System
- Special Purpose Motor Vehicles: Offers Integrated Solutions On-Wheels for Many Applications
- Studies On Capacity Improvement of Solar Updraft Tower
- Solar Still
- Glass Cleaning Automated Robot For High Rise Building Applications
- Experimental Study of Exoskeleton For Ankle And Knee Joint
- Design and Performance Analysis of Solar Powered Trommel Screen
- Carbon Dioxide and Vapors of Olive Oil Powered Solar Cooker
- Bicycle With Flywheel- A New Product Development
CONSERVATION & TRANSPORTATION OF FRESH WATER
ALONG THE COASTAL REGION OF INDIA