Teaching and Learning are two sides of the same coin and need to join hands together if the entire process have to synthesize to bring about desired changes in the effective pattern understanding and learning by a student.
At New Horizon College, at present, traditional approaches like use of Chalk board and talking plays a very vital role to disseminate knowledge to all the students of the Institution apart from use of various medias like the Over Head Projector, Slide Projectors, etc.,
- Apart from the traditional method supplemented and added by use of technology the Institution supports the teaching and learning of the learner with student centric activities like Group Discussions, Seminars, Symposia, Quiz etc., Students are exposed to various channels of the electronic media, Guest lectures, Special Instructional Programmes, Gyan Darshan and Experts talk to ignite the young minds and to influence them for perfect learning.
- Special instructional programmes such as Tutorials, Remedial Coaching, Mentoring System etc., are being practiced at individual subject faculty’s level so that this would be of some help to slow learners and non performers.
- Internal Quality Assurance Cells (IQAC) is established to monitor and review the academic progress. Students’ performance is assessed through Assignments, Unit Tests, Term End Internal Examinations, while teachers’ performance is monitored through Self Appraisal Reports and Academic Performance Indicators.
- The Institution also meticulously plans and organizes its teaching schedule with the following inputs and keeps it always updated for the benefit of the teaching and learning community.
- Students centered methods like review, questioning, quizzing, deliberations on the subject are all an integral part of the pedagogy adopted by the faculty.
- Experiential learning, Participative learning, problem solving methodologies are used for enhancing learning experiences.
- Latest technologies are used by the faculty for effective teaching (e-learning).
- The learning environment is conducive for critical thinking, creativity and scientific temper.
- The Institution follows a system of mentor –mentee to meet the academic and personal needs of students.
- The Institution gives due recognition to innovative and creative contributions of its faculty and students.
- Project / Field experiences are integrated into the learning programmes.
- Feedback on the evaluation of teachers is leveraged for improvement of the quality of teaching –learning process.
The institutional internal evaluation system is one such methodology adopted to identify the advanced learners, student curiosity to explore new avenues identified by their questioning skills, learning ability, quest for learning are certain mechanisms that would identify their special educational and learning needs.
These advanced learners would be dealt separately and individual special attention is paid to them while the academics is being taught. Over and above the curriculum taught, attempts are made to provide them with additional input, knowledge, curriculum for learning etc., by way of modules, subject, projects, skill development with hands on experience etc., so that these advanced learners would benefit from these efforts.
In the process, the support structures and systems available for teachers to develop skills for interactive learning are students participating in seminars, topic based discussions, subjective role plays, debating etc.,
While for collaborative learning live and vestibule projects are used for group learning while the students finally does his/her individual learning by preparing notes, assignments, participating in group discussions, activity based learning programme like exhibition, case study analysis, research activities and through presenting papers.
The institution provides various platforms for students to participate in live projects, hands on workshops, Value added practical’s within the campus and thereby ensure that students always be innovative and practical in approach.
Keeping in mind these two perspectives the value added courses such as CA coaching, CAT coaching, Tally, Global Certification, Foreign Educational Tour and Soft Skills , PDP, Capital marketing, CISCO , Jet king and CPT are provided along with the prescribed course of the University.
CO-CURRICULAR AND EXTENSION ACTIVITIES
A student shall opt for one of the following activities offered in the college, in each of the first four semesters of the undergraduate programmes. The activity carries a credit each and will be internally assessed for 50 marks. The following may include the EC& EC
- N.S.S. / N.C.C
- Sports and Games
- Physical Education or Activities related to Yoga
- Field studies / Industry Implant Training
- Involvement in campus publication
- Publication of articles in news papers, magazines or other publications
- Community work such as promotion of values of National Integration, Environment, Human rights and duties, Peace, Civic sense etc.
- A Small project work concerning the achievements of India in different fields
- Evolution of study groups/seminar circles on Indian thoughts and ideas
- Involvement in popularization programmes such as scientific temper
- Activity exploring different aspects of Indian civilizations
- Computer assisted/web-based learning and e-library skills
- Innovative compositions and creations in music, performing and visual arts etc.
Evaluation of Co & Extra Curricular Activities shall be as per the drawn proposition and guidelines of the course / activities.