Head of the Department, B.Com
"Intelligence plus character-that is the goal of true education."
You are indeed blessed to find an opportunity to be educated in one of the best college - New Horizon College, Kasturinagar. The college is privileged with healthy, harmonious and rich values which play pivotal role in shaping the future of students with proud legacy since 2008.Many students have registered their presence in the merit list of Bangalore University and others have brought laurels in co-curricular activities.
Being a leading college in the Commerce stream, the departmental goal is to assimilate global development in education and adopting the latest technology and equip students to face the realities of life and give practical accounting knowledge.
The Department of Commerce has recorded consistent improvement in its academic, cultural, sports and placement. It offers a range of innovatively designed programs whose curriculum are constantly updated to meet the changing requirement of the industry and also to meet the needs of major stakeholders.
We believe that our students have been well accepted in their job profiles and have consistently exceeded expectations of the corporate world.
During study at the department, the students are encouraged to get hands-on experience in the corporate world through internship projects with reputed organizations.
We encourage our students to organize events such as Sargam, Commerce fest & to participate in Commerce events organized by various colleges and to get involved in activities of social relevance.
With all these inputs one finds our students hardworking, practical-oriented and effective in any work environment. We are confident that our current curriculum has enabled overall development of budding Commerce professionals to meet the expectations of the corporate world. The curriculum is taught by a team of distinguished faculty combining academic excellence and real world experience with dedication and commitment.
On behalf of Department of Commerce I welcome you to be a part of our journey towards being a world class centre of excellence in education and training. We wish you all the best for achieving greater success and setting new heights in the coming session. To be successful in life ‘have ambitions and define your goals clearly’, be regular to your classes and focus on your goals.
New Horizon Educational Institutions is one of the BEST B.Com Colleges in Bangalore spreading its outstanding in Education. Read on to learn as to why we are ranked amongst the top B.Com colleges in Bangalore
To create future ready commerce professionals to be globally competent.
To provide a congenial learning environment to nurture industry ready commerce graduates with societal, environmental and ethical values. To foster success of our students as Think Tanks for business by developing core competencies with holistic approach. To develop and sustain business professionals globally with strong problem solving and analytical skills through multidisciplinary approach.
DEPARTMENT OF B.Com
The B.Com programme is one of the most sought after courses in New Horizon College, Kasturi Nagar. The programme aims not just at developing accounting, managerial and organizational skills in the learners but also to promote entrepreneurial skills. The programme opens up a plethora of career and higher study opportunities including company secretaries, chartered accountants, cost/ work accountants, banking, finance and management.
- Highly qualified and experienced faculty
- Excellent infrastructure
- Well-equipped department library with internet connectivity
- Accounting, Finance, Marketing and Consultancy
- Banking and Insurance
- Positions in share trading firms
- Managerial positions and Self-employment
NHCk is among the Best and Top B.Com Colleges in Bangalore
Teaching and Learning are two sides of the same coin and need to join if the entire process has to synthesize in order to bring about desired changes in the effective pattern of understanding and learning by a student.
At present, we follow the traditional use of the Chalk board to disseminate knowledge to the students of the Institution. We also encourage the use of various medias like the Over Head Projector, Slide Projectors, etc.,
- The use of traditional methods of teaching coupled with technology makes the programme more student centric. Activities like Group Discussions, Seminars, Symposia, Quiz etc., makes for the better understanding of the subject at hand. Students are exposed to various channels of the electronic media, Guest lectures, Special Instructional Programmes, Gyan Darshan and Experts talk to ignite the young minds and to influence them for perfect learning.
- Special instructional programmes such as Tutorials, Remedial Coaching and Mentoring System are being practiced at an individual level to help slow learners and non performers.
- Internal Quality Assurance Cells (IQAC) is established to monitor and review the academic progress. Students’ performance is assessed through Assignments, Unit Tests, Term End Internal Examinations, while teachers’ performance is monitored through Self Appraisal Reports and Academic Performance Indicators.
- The Institution also meticulously plans and organizes updated teaching schedule with the given inputs for the benefit of the teaching and learning community.
- Students centered methods like review, questioning, quizzing, deliberations on the subject are all an integral part of the pedagogy adopted by the faculty.
- Experiential learning, Participative learning, problem solving methodologies are used to enhance learning experiences.
- Latest technologies, namely e-learning, are used by the faculty for effective teaching.
- The learning environment is conducive for critical thinking, creativity and scientific temper.
- The Institution follows a mentor – mentee system to meet the academic and personal needs of students.
- The Institution gives due recognition to innovative and creative contributions of its faculty and students.
- Project / Field experiences are integrated into the learning programmes.
- The teaching – learning process is enhanced by the constructive feedback given to teachers on their teaching methodology.
The institution’s internal evaluation system is one such methodology adopted to identify an advanced learner. Certain mechanisms which identify their learning needs are based on the students’ curiosity to explore new avenues which is identified by their questioning skills, learning ability and quest for learning.
These advanced learners would be dealt separately and individual special attention is given to them. Over and above the curriculum taught, attempts are made to provide them with additional input, knowledge, curriculum for learning etc., by way of modules, subject, projects, skill development with hands on experience etc., so that these learners are benefitted in the process.
The support structures and systems available for teachers to develop skills for interactive learning are seminars, topic based discussions, subjective role plays, debating etc., which play an important role in the further fuelling of a students’ curiosity.
Live and vestibule projects are used for collaborative learning and group learning which helps the student in individual learning by preparing notes, assignments, participating in group discussions, activity based learning programme like exhibition, case study analysis, research activities and through presenting papers.VALUE ADDITIONS
The institution provides various platforms for students to participate in live projects, workshops, Value added practical’s within the campus to ensure that students are always innovative and practical in approach.
Keeping in mind these two perspectives the value added courses such as CA coaching, CAT coaching, Tally, Global Certification, Foreign Educational Tour and Soft Skills , PDP, Capital marketing, CISCO , Jet king and CPT are provided along with the prescribed course of the University.CO-CURRICULAR AND EXTENSION ACTIVITIES
A student will opt for one of the following activities offered by the college, in each of the first four semesters of the undergraduate programmes. The activity carries a credit each and will be internally assessed for 50 marks. The following may include the CC & EC (Co-curricular and Extension activities)
- S.S. / N.C.C
- Sports and Games
- Physical Education or Activities related to Yoga
- Field studies / Industry Implant Training
- Involvement in campus publication
- Publication of articles in news papers, magazines or other publications
- Community work such as promotion of National Integrity, Environment, Human rights and duties, Peace, Civic sense etc.
- A Small project work concerning the achievements of India in various fields
- Evolution of study groups/seminar circles on Indian thoughts and ideas
- Involvement in popularization programmes such as scientific temper
- Activity exploring different aspects of Indian civilizations
- Computer assisted/web-based learning and e-library skills
- Innovative compositions and creations in music, performing and visual arts etc.
Evaluation of Co & Extra Curricular Activities shall be as per the drawn proposition and guidelines of the course / activities.
- Industrial Visit to Reserve Bank Of India...
- Ist Semester BCOM, 'A' section students industrial visit at Reserve Bank Of India On 28th August, 2018
- II year B.Com went on an visit to Akshaya Patra Foundation, Kanakapura, Bangalore - 31.03.2017.
- I B.Com 'A' Sec students went on an Industrial Visit to Hindustan Unilever Ltd. ITPL Whitefield - 24.03.2017...Click to view photos
- An Industrial visit to Indian Bank was organized by New Horizon College, Kasturinagar for B.Com VI Sem students on 24& 25th Jan 2017...Click to view photos
- INTERNATIONAL INDUSTRIAL VISIT TO EUROPE - JANUARY 2017...Click here
- Industrial visit by B.Com 3rd semester students to Garuda Food pvt ltd on 23rd september 2016...Click to view photos
- III semester B.Com 'C' Sec students went on an industrial visit to Garuda Polyflex Food Pvt Ltd. on 23.09.2016
- III semester B.Com 'A' and 'B' Sec students went on an industrial visit to Garuda Polyflex Food Pvt Ltd. on 22.09.2016
- BCom students on an industrial visit to Karnataka Milk Federation on 26 aug 2016...Click to view photos
- NHC-IV sem B.COM 'B' sec students , industrial visit to KMF, Yelahanka Bangalore on 21.04.2016
- NHC-IV sem B.COM "A"sec students, industrial visit to Mother Dairy Bangalore Milk Corporation LTD on 20-04-2016
- NHC - II sem B.Com students went on an industrial visit to KMF on 18.04.2016 & 20.4.2016
- II Semester B.Com 'A' Section (52 Students) went to Industrial Visit to Bliss Chocolate India pvt ltd. on 18-03-2016
- II Semester B.Com 'C' Section (41 Students) went to Industrial Visit to Bliss Chocolate India pvt ltd. on 18-03-2016
- VI Semester B.Com Students (37 students) went to Industrial Visit to Mysore Sandal Soap Factory, Yeashwanthpur Bangalore on 18-03-216
- Second semester B Com students (52 students) went on an industrial visit to Bliss Chocolate Pvt Ltd, HAL Road accompanied by Ms. Aruna R Shet and Ms. Nagalakshmi G S (Asst Professors) on 18-02-2016
- I B.Com 'A' Sec students went on an Industrial Visit to Hindustan Unilever Ltd. ITPL Whitefield - 24.03.2017.
- VIth semester BBA & B.Com students attended a seminar on "Career after MBA" at New Horizon College, Marathalli - 08.03.2017 .
- Students participated in an Inter - Collegiate Competition "PINNACLE-2017" conducted at St. Annes Degree College - 10.03.2017.
- Winners: Sahana Murali - II Prize - Product Packaging and Fireless Cooking
Apeksha - II Prize - Product Packaging and Fireless Cooking.
- Hindi National Level One Day Seminar 'Prayaas - 2017' was conducted on 22.2017.
- Topic: Hindi Rangamanch Evam Natak Kal, Aaj Aur Kal. Chief Guest: Dr. Rekha Roy - Dean of Hindi Dept., Atal Bihari Vajpai Hindi University,Bhopal ,MP. Prof. Mohammed Arif - Founder & Director of Script Peoples Theatre Bangalore, & Prof of Performing Art in Christ University. Dr. Shobha L - HOD of Hindi Dept., MS Ramaiah Commerce and Science College Bangalore.
The occasion marked the release of a book – Prayaas - 2016.
- The English Department conducted a Guest Lecture for Second Year B.Com and BCA Students. The topic was "Drama" - 17.02.2017. Chief Guest: Asst Prof. Akhila HG from Centre of Graduate Studies, Jain College, Jain University Bangalore.
- The Department of Commerce organized a Workshop on 'Stock Mind' Season 5 for the students - 09.02.2017.
Ms. Suniti Verma - Zonal Marketing Manager ICICI Direct, Bangalore
- The 2nd National Level IQAC Conference was conducted. The theme of the conference was Quality Initiatives to be adopted in Higher Educational Institutions towards Sustenance and Growth. The topics discussed were:
1. Need to Bring in Positive Behaviour in Students for better learning - Student Centric Approach
2. Effective use of Innovative Methodologies in Teaching leads to better implications in learning pattern - A way for successful results.
3. To overcome Challenges of Quality Initiatives in Teaching and Learning - A success factor for Higher Educational Institutions.
4. Quality as a policy in Higher Educational Institutions towards meeting the relentless competitions. Conference Panelists: Dr. S. Edwin Christopher, Principal, NHC, Kasurinagar, Bangalore. Prof K Rajalakshmi - Retired Prof. Dept of Psychology. Dr. Seshagiri L N - Associate Prof, Dept of English, Co-Ordinator - State Quality Assurance Cell, Government of Karnataka. Dr. Dharmadhikari N S - Retired Principal, NAAC Peer Team Member, Ex Member UGC, Pune - Maharashtra.
- The Department of Commerce conducted a Guest Lecture for VI Semester B.Com students - 31.01.2017.
Topics: Application of CMA & Cost Models in Corporate Sector.
Cheif Guest: Nabanitha Ghosh M.Com, ACMA, MBA (PHD) Co-Ordinator, Faculty from CMA Institute, Bangalore
- The Department of Commerce organized "Best Manager" for all B.Com, BBA & BCA students- 30.01.2017.
Sneha P - IV Sem BCA - I Prize
Varun Raj - IV Sem B.Com 'B' sec - II Prize
Harshith G - IV Sem B.Com 'C' sec - III Prize
- The Department of Commerce & Management conducted a Guest Lecture for all final years BBA & B.Com students - 30.01.2017.
BBA - Technical & Fundamental Analysis
B.Com - Tools for Financial Analysis
Resource Persons - Dr. Sheelan Mishra - HOD, MBA Dept NHCE
Dr. Sainath - Prof. MBA Dept NHCE
- The Department of Commerce organized ‘100 Ka Funda’ for all B.Com students - 28.01.2017.
Salman & Soniya - I Prize
Akhil & Sahana - II Prize
Aditi & Charitha - III Prize
- The Department of Commerce conducted a Guest Lecture for IV Semester B.Com students. Topics: Application of CMA & Cost Models in Corporate Sector - 27.01.2017. Chief Guest: Nabanitha Ghosh M.Com, ACMA, MBA (PHD) Co-Ordinator, Faculty from CMA Institute, Bangalore
- The Department of Commerce organized a Guest Lecture for II Sem B.Com Students. Topic: Investment Awareness on Stock Exchange - 11.01.2017. Chief Guest: Ms. Marina Jose Kanjikal, Bombay Stock Exchange Ltd - Investor Protection Fund.
- The Department of Commerce organized a one day Seminar for B.Com students. Students from various colleges participated in the seminar - 19.09.2016. Topic : "Goods And Service Tax (GST) and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) Chief Guest - First Technical Session Mr. Rahul Chowdhary - Associate Prof, KPMG. Second Technical Session Mr. Pramod Srihari - ACA Open House
- The Department of Commerce organized a Seminar for V sem B.Com students - 03.08.2016 Topic : ‘EDP - Entrepreneur Development Program' Chief Guest - Mrs. Connie - Director, from I Create Vishwas, Southern India Branch & Mrs. Shobha Vinod - Master Tranier.
- I, III Year B.Com (6 Students) & I Sem BBA (2 Students) participated and presented a Seminar on "Strategies to Ensure Business Sustainability - A Knowledge Exposure to Students" conducted by Dept of Commerce, St. Anne's Degree College for Women, Bangalore. Swathi N - I Sem BBA - 05.08.2016
- A seminar on the BSE'S (Bombay Stock Exchange) Investor Awareness Program was organized for III Sem B.Com 'A' sec and III Sem B.Com 'C' sec students by Mrs. Marina Jose, Resource Personnel Investors Protection Fund) - 08.08.2016
- Neelima Dubey - Associate . Prof., Mrs. Uma Choudary - Asst. Prof. and Mrs. Reshma Sanjay - Student Counselor Department of Hindi organized a Seminar - YOGAKSHAR 2016 for all BBA, B.Com, BCA students - 10.08.2016. Topic : ‘Bharathiya Sabhyatha Par Pashchathya Prabhav' & 'Shehar Main Mahilaon Ke Suraksha' Cheif Guest - Prof. Lata Chauhan from Dr. Ambedkar First Grade College for first session (14students) Dr. Ranjana Pillai from Sindhi College for second session (22 students)
- A Seminar on the BSE'S (Bombay Stock Exchange) Investor Awareness Program was organized for III Sem B.Com 'B' sec and III Sem BBA students by Mrs. Marina Jose, Resourse Personnel Investors Protection Fund) - 11.08.2016
- The Dept of ARG organised a Seminar on "Entrepreneur" for all under – graduate students. The resource person Mr. Vinay Bharadwaj from Singapore – Standard Chartered Bank - 26-03-2016.
- ARG organized a National level conference of IQAC. Dr. V Prabhu Dev (Christ University) and Dr. Veeresh B (NHPUC) were the guest speaker on 24/02/16 for morning and afternoon session respectively. Dr. A Arjunnan (MTN College Madurai) and Dr. S Edwin Christopher (Principal NHC -K) were the guest speaker on 25/02/2016 for morning and afternoon session respectively. There were 24 participants from other colleges from in and around Bangalore, Goa, Madurai, Mysore and Kolar. 22 faculties of NHC and 23 students of NHC participated in this conference. - 24-02-2016 & 25-02-2016
- A one day Hindi National Seminar 'Prayas 2016' was 25 Participants presented their papers - 29-01-2016. Dr. Rushaba Deo Sharma - President Higher Eduation and Research, South India Hindi Prachar Sabha, Hyderabad was the Chief Guest and key note speaker of the programme. Dr.Renurani Shukla - MLA Academy for Higher Learning Bangalore was the guest and mentor of the first session and Dr. Poornimadevi K V - Sree Cauvery Management College Bangalore was the guest and mentor of the second session.