New Horizon College-Marathalli believes in advocating anti-ragging/ragging-safe environment throughout and ensures to prevent, prohibit and eliminate the scourge of ragging. Ragging has ruined countless number of students and their lives; negatively impacting the growth of healthy atmosphere in educational institutions where the expectations of the fresh batch of students are often met with disappointment, fear and insecurity.
Ragging was once the medium of interaction between the seniors and the juniors of an institution which helped bond the two parties and built the correct attitude towards learning. With the passing of years, it has been observed that the practice of ragging has changed into a medium of exploitation and oppression where the juniors are exposed to tremendous mental/physical harassment and are made a means of entertainment causing injury to their self-respect.
- To prohibit any conduct of any student whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student or students which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship or psychological harm to raise fear or apprehension to any fresher or any student.
- To prevent the menace of ragging by taking effective measures, most importantly taking regular feedbacks from hostel wardens on such activities.
- To take strict disciplinary action ranging from temporary suspension to rustication from college against student/students who is/are found guilty of ragging.
- To spread the awareness of “prohibiting, preventing and eliminating” the menace of ragging.
- To nullify any kind of a hierarchical oppression or exploitation executed by seniors or batch mates belonging to the same institution for a longer duration of time.
- Create a strong mandate against ragging.
- Provide neutral, confidential and supportive environment for members of the campus community who may have been sexually harassed.
- Device alternative but healthy and humane modes of interaction between seniors & juniors.
- Unite the isolated protests against ragging under the umbrella of a strong, united movement.
- Involve the authorities, faculties, students and others in the anti-ragging drives.
Forms of Ragging:
Display of noisy, disorderly conduct, teasing, excitement by rough or rude treatment or handling, including rowdy, undisciplined activities which cause or likely to cause annoyance, undue hardship, physical or psychological harm or raise apprehensive fear in a fresher, or asking the students to do any act or perform something which such a student will not do in the ordinary course and which causes him/her shame or embarrassment or danger to his/her life, etc.
Acts considered as Ragging are:
- Any conduct by any student or students whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student.
- Indulging in rowdy or undisciplined activities by any student or students which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship, physical or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any fresher or any other student.
- Asking any student to do any act which such student will not in the ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame, or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of such fresher or any other student.
- Any act by a senior student that prevents, disrupts or disturbs the regular academic activity of any other student or a fresher.
- Exploiting the services of a fresher or any other student for completing the academic tasks assigned to an individual or a group of students.
- Any act of financial extortion or forceful expenditure burden put on a fresher or any other student by students.
- Any act of physical abuse including all variants of it: sexual abuse, homosexual assaults, and stripping, forcing obscene and lewd acts, gestures, causing bodily harm or any other danger to health or person.
- Any act or abuse by spoken words, emails, post, public insults which would also include deriving perverted pleasure, vicarious or sadistic thrill from actively or passively participating in the discomfiture to fresher or any other student .
- Any act that affects the mental health and self-confidence of a fresher or any other student.
Punishment for Participation in/or Abetment of Ragging:
- Cancellation of admission.
- Suspension from attending classes.
- Withholding/withdrawing scholarship/fellowship and other benefits.
- Debarring from appearing in any test/examination or other evaluation process.
- Withholding results.
- Debarring from representing the institution in any national or international meet, tournament, youth festival, etc.
- Suspension/expulsion from the hostel.
- Rustication from the institution for periods varying from 1 to 4 semesters or equivalent period.
- Expulsion from the institution and consequent debarring from admission to any other institution.
- Heavy monetary fine.
|ANTI-RAGGING COMMITTEE @NHC-M|
Ms. Benila Jacob
|Faculties In-charge & Assistant Professors, NHC-M|
|Prajay R||Student Representative - VI B.Com|
|P.C. Yeshashri||Student Representative - VI B.Com|